Wednesday, August 29, 2012

the black prince

The Telfair Academy in Savannah is one of three buildings that create the Telfair Museums. While  wandering the city, I decided to check it out. I could not believe the amount of art on the walls, it seemed endless for what I thought was a small building. I am kicking myself for not writing an artists name down, but he was featured in the upstairs gallery.  I will find out who it was to post about him because there was a particular painting out of the entire body being exhibited that just stood out from the rest.

I went downstairs into this gigantic main gallery, cathedral ceilings, wood floors, enormous doors and wood trim everywhere.  There was a painting on the right of the room, I started my viewing on the left, so it was almost the last one I would look at.  It was titled The Black Prince of Crecy by Julian Russell Story. I just stared.  That was all I could do. 135in by 205in. Crazy. The brushstrokes, color, mood, symbolism was just all amazing.  I fell in love.  I don't know what else to say.


Erik S. Lesser for The New York Times



No comments: